There is a myth that doulas only provide support to natural, unmedicated births. Here at Doulas of Las Vegas, that is simple untrue.
We know that pregnancy and childbirth are unique experiences. We provide labor to support to all the variations of birth. Here are a few ways a doula can help if you are planning to have epidural.
- Positioning - we will encourage and help mom change positions to help ease discomfort, keep the pelvis open so baby can move through the canal. We will also use pillows or a peanut ball in between the legs to help keep the pelvis open.
- Pain management - we will provide coping techniques before the epidural is administered, during the procedure and if in the case the epidural wears off or is no longer effective.
- Continuous care for mom and partner - Letting mom and partner rest while labor progresses, working with medical staff (i.e. if machine is beeping, getting the nurse)
- Comfort measures - massaging mom, applying cold washcloth on forehead if she's warm, listening to mom, making sure she knows what is happening and that she is okay.
- Maintaining the birthing environment - adjusting the room temperature, dimming the lights, aromatherapies, music, hospitals guests.
Whether you are planning an unmedicated or medicated birth doulas are on your side. We work with families and partners to help them achieve a positive birth experience. Considering hiring a doula? Read more about Important Questions to Ask Your Doula.